March 21, 2011

Resurrections: Hard Candy Walk the Line Liquid Eyeliner and Rimmel Glam'Eyes Shadow



For this latest edition of "Resurrections," where I pull neglected items out of my makeup collection and give them a second chance, I'll be looking at a Hard Candy Walk the Line Liquid Eyeliner in Flip Side and a Rimmel Glam'Eyes shadow in Sapphire. These are two items where, when I first purchased them, I definitely didn't love them, but I didn't hate them either. Thus, they were destined to exist in limbo in the back of my makeup drawer!

Rimmel Glam'Eyes in Sapphire

When I first bought this product, I was captivated by the pretty periwinkle blue color. I thought it had great potential for use along the lash line, but after a few tries I just wasn't that impressed by the texture or pigmentation and I haven't picked it up since.

In my quest to give it another chance, I sadly haven't been any more impressesd. It's a beautiful color but its chalky, powdery and not very pigmented. It looks like I applied the same amount of shadow on each of my three fingers to the left, right? WRONG. Those swatches are respectively one, two and three swipes across the entire shadow and I am amazed that there is basically no variation in the opaqueness of the color between the three.
Hard Candy Walk the Line Liquid Eyeliner in Flip Side

After hearing all the hype about Hard Candy, I attempted to satisfy my curiosity by purchasing one token product. I was attracted to this beautiful shimmery navy blue liner and decided to give it a shot! However, after a few uses I wasn't as enamored and I forgot about this product as well.

When I pulled this eyeliner out to do a Resurrections post, I was hopeful. I fell in love again with their always adorable packaging and, as you can see below, my first swatch actually looked pretty decent!

See what I mean? The top ones not bad at all! However, as I continued swatching, I remembered how much I didn't like the brush. I'm a felt tip kinda girl, and this traditional brush leads to an uneven application. You can see in my middle two swatches how you cant really get enough on the brush for a long, defined line- it quickly fades. The bottom swatch is uneven and streaky. My biggest complaint is that this stuff just doesn't seem to dry! I tried rubbing after a couple minutes to see what the lasting power was like- they didn't just smear, they were still WET.


So, now for the final question. Is it...

Back to life, or back to the drawer?


Sadly, giving these products a second chance ended up just being a reminder of why I don't use them in the first place =( It's not so much that they are flat out TERRIBLE- but why use mediocre products when theres so much good stuff out there?

However, I refuse to let these go to waste and am determined to find SOME way to use these up. I'm hopeful that the slow drying nature of the Hard Candy liner might actually lend itself well to packing matching shadow on top of it. As far as the Rimmel shadow, i just need to get over how pretty it looks in the pan and learn to accept how it actually looks on the skin.

Have you guys tried any of these products? Also, since I have yet to experience any of the good products that Hard Candy is known for, do you guys have any recommendations for products of theirs that I should try?

8 comments:

  1. I bought a Rimmel one, It's a really pretty pink color. My thoughts on it are kinda the same as yours. It really didn't impress me as much as I was hoping for. I use it randomly for a highlight but that's about it. I know it will eventually get recycled into my daughters play makeup, where so much has gone already! She loves it though =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been tempted bu those eyeshadows too, but they are too sheer for me )=

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you gave them a second chance. Great post. Thanks for sharing love. Check out what Brad, Rachel Zoe's former associate shared with me and find out my latest trend report.

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    And don't forget to follow us on Twitter for all the latest celebrity fashion news, from an LA stylist.

    http://twitter.com/FashBoulevard

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats a shame about those products and i have some hard candy stuff like a blush, but im really not impressed all that much. the wear on it isnt fabulous, but the pigmentation is great. i heard the shadows are super pigmented and last really well too. they also have polishes, which i have yet to see in canadian walmarts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Miranda- Thats great that you can get SOME use out of yours. Also, I love the idea of passing makeup on to your daughter- stuff thats not pigmented enough for an adult would be PERFECT for kids so they don't get TOO carried away =)

    @Gaby- Yeah, they look so cute its hard to resist, but I learned my lesson! Haha.

    @Fash- Thanks for reading =)

    @Christine- Yeah, I almost bought one of the blushes the last time I was at WalMart but I resisted... I've definitely seen some pretty pictures of the eyeshadows though =) The nail polishes are always in cool colors, but they seem expensive to me... It's $5 for a pretty tiny bottle, so I feel like you might as well shell out the extra $4 and go for OPI or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some of the Hard Candy baked eyeshadow and it is also just "ok." I was thinking about trying their primer, but after reading you're review on this product I think I will save my money on something else. :) I heard that Hard Candy is like a more affordable branch off of Urban Decay. Anyone know if that's true?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use the hard candy So Baked Bronzer in 129 Tiki. And i love it can be to sheen but i just swipe a little bit on my face and it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Christine I purchased the nail polishes and they were pretty good quality actually. The ones I had were very pigmented!

    I actually like the liquid liner in flip side :). I thinks its mainly the brush applicator that I like though. Its the first eyeliner that I used that wasn't completely impossible for me to use! There were a few things that were annoying, but I find those things small and avoidable! I'm thinking about posting my own review on it. though I would agree with that it does take a while to dry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading and commenting! If you leave a question for me, be sure to check back for my response or feel free to email me at embellishmentsbeauty@gmail.com!