March 6, 2011

Resurrections: L'Oreal HIP High Intensity Pigment Loose Shadow in Tenacious

It happens to the best of us- we buy something on a whim, overindulge during a sale, or our collections grow too large- no matter how it happens, sometimes we accumulate beauty products that we simply don't use. In this blog series I'll being going through my collection to 'resurrect' products that I have used infrequently or forgotten about entirely. I thought this would be a fun way to rediscover my own collection =)


My first resurrection is a L'Oreal HIP Loose Shadow in Tenacious, a bronzey-coppery color. I remember buying this on sale and then never really using it- I've swatched it a few times, but other than that it has been exiled to the back of my eyeshadow drawer.

 At first glance, this is a beautiful, highly metallic color. However, in the jar, something about the texture looks a little funny. Rather than being super finely milled, the pigment is sort of.... flakey? It almost looked like someone had taken a sheet of very thin metallic material and spent ages cutting it into the smalles pieces possible- but there were still some irregular flakes.


This shadow is obviously very pigmented and very metallic. I think its super pretty and multi-dimensional. However, the flakes in the pot that I talked about were a problem in this swatch as well- after I applied it with a brush to my hand it still looked rough and chunky. The picture shown here was taken AFTER I had smoothed it out. Also, while I have not used this on my eyes, I have a feeling that fallout could be a problem (although, in all fairness, that's an issue with many pigments anyway).

So, now for the final question. Is it...

Back to life, or back to the drawer?


I'm a little conflicted on whether I will bring this product into my regular makeup rotation or go back to ignoring the fact that I own it. When I swatched it for this series, I did think that it was really, really pretty and I was pleased that I had decided to give it another shot. However, I do have concerns about the texture and, honestly, I don't wear many makeup looks that call for a coppery-bronze shadow that is this incredibly pigmented and metallic. I think I will definitely try it out in a look sometime soon as a challenge to myself to see if I can make it work =)

Let me know what you guys think about this series! Do you all have many products that you never use?


5 comments:

  1. it is super pretty, but i always prefer eyeshadows over pigments, it's less messy imo! therefore my poor pigments get neglected. but i've recently brought out of my mac naked pigment for some use! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, tons of products that I never use! But this one is a really pretty color! Should be great for summer!!! Now following! Maybe you'll like my blog:)

    Kisses,
    Annabelle
    http://vivaluxury.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should bring it back to life or at least try to. If it becomes impossible to work with maybe than you can say goodbye. The color is very pretty though. this series is a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color! I think you should bring it back to life!! and do a tutorial on it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Christine- I do too! I feel like if you can find an equivalent color in a pressed form its just soooo much easier on so many levels.

    @Annabelle- Thanks for following, I'll check out your blog too! Oh and while my birth name is just plain old Anna, both my parents call me Annabelle =)

    @Tru- I'm definitely going to try! Even though I only spent a couple bucks on it I hate the idea of buying things and then never using them, haha.

    @Katie- Hm I don't know if I'm qualified enough to do tutorials, but maybe if I can figure out a good way to use this =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading and commenting! If you leave a question for me, be sure to check back for my response or feel free to email me at embellishmentsbeauty@gmail.com!